Monday, June 9, 2014

Rik Mayall (off topic entry of the passing of Rik Mayall)

With the passing of Rik Mayall, I have to say that my life has been altered in some way. I didn't know him personally but feel a connection with him because he came into my bedroom so frequently. The "Young Ones" always made me laugh to the point of having to have a respirator to gain air into my lung from laughing disgustingly hard that I would cough up phloem. He shaped my view on life not only as a human but also my humor. The stuffs that people do not find to terribly funny I find ridiculously funny. 

From the "Young Ones" he went on to write and preform in other BBC series suck as the "Blackhadder" and joining forces with his long time writing partner. He made his way into movies, staring as the imaginary friend in "Drop Dead Fred", which still is one of my all time favorite movies. His presence on screen grabbed your attention and never wanted to look away because his train wreck punkish antics that encouraged you to make faces in the mirror while getting ready for school. Rik Mayall had a serious bike accident that left him with a head injury in 1998. Since then he has been braising everyday with life in life. All I know is, the world has lost a very sincere and articulate comic who believed in laughter until you cried. He added catch phrases to a whole disenfranchised youth, The GenX majority and those generations that followed. 

I know I am going to miss Rick the Poet political activist, and Fred, the one that made me do it. I suppose my evening will be made of The Young Ones if anything just to laugh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment